Sunday, June 26, 2005

Lunch: On the Border: Birmingham

Location: Summit shopping center, Birmingham

We swung by because I had heard from a co-worker that OTB was good. I had vaguely remembered eating at one in Houston a long time ago, but figured that if they couldn't stay in business in Houston, then they probably weren't all that good. We ate lunch, and I had Fajitas de Carnita's, the wife had a Chimichanga. Whenever I eat mexican, one of the first things I look for on the menu is Carnitas. It is essentially roasted pork, and it is very good. These fajitas were no exception. The carmelized onions, carnita's peppers and lime on a sizzle plate was great. Brandi's chimichaga was good, but seemed undercooked, as the tortilla was soggy from the sauce, and only tasted like it had been fried. The complementary chips were huge, crispy and well salted, and the salsa was quite good as well.

Service was another story, our waiter seemed stoned. He couldn't remember what kind of tea we wanted, even after we had just told him. He brought our food out, took mine back because there was gum on the bottom of my plate, and then didn't even return for another 5 minutes. At least when he returned, my fajitas were sizzling. The first time he came out he served them Montgomery style, which means, no longer sizzling because they have been sitting out while the waiter was smoking crack.

I didn't have a chance to try their margaritas, since I was driving back to Montgomery, and we were too full for desert, although they looked quite good.

I would have to say that for a Mexican restaurant, they would have to be the best I have ever had... in Alabama. It's a truely sad thing, when what is essentially a Chili's with a stronger accent is good in comparison to all the local restaurants.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home